As a pet parent searching to improve your dog’s health using CBD oil, you are on the right path. If you want to know about the benefits of CBD and using CBD oil for dogs dose calculator, here is the information.
What Is CBD Oil?
CBD oil is a cannabis-based product gaining in popularity recently. CBD oil is made from hemp, a variety of cannabis that contains little to no THC, the element that causes marijuana users to get high.
Because CBD oil does not contain THC, it does not have the psychoactive effects that marijuana does. The oil is used for many purposes, including relieving pain and anxiety, treating seizures, and reducing inflammation.
What Are The Health Benefits Of Using CBD Oil For Dogs?
- Epilepsy And Seizure Disorders
CBD oil effectively reduces the frequency and severity of seizures in both humans and animals. A study published in the Journal of Pharmacology found that CBD oil could significantly reduce the number of attacks experienced by a group of children with epilepsy.
CBD oil is thought to work by reducing inflammation and anxiety in animals. Two factors are known to contribute to seizure activity. Additionally, CBD oil is also believed to boost brain function and protect against neuronal damage, which may help reduce seizure activity.
Some common symptoms of seizures include loss of consciousness, convulsions, and muscle spasms.
- Anxiety Can Be Treated With CBD
There are many types of anxiety disorders seen in dogs. Some of them include:
- Separation anxiety
- Storm anxiety/phobias
- Social anxiety
- Generalized anxiety disorder
CBD effectively reduces the symptoms of all these types of anxiety disorders. It works by working with the Endocannabinoid System (ECS). It is a network of receptors and neurotransmitters that regulate many crucial functions in the body.
CBD attaches to receptors in the ECS, which modulates the release of neurotransmitters. This action helps to restore balance in the body and reduce anxiety symptoms.
Dog arthritis is a severe condition. It is one of the main reasons pet parents seek out CBD. Different kinds of arthritis can affect dogs. The common types are osteoarthritis and hip dysplasia.
The breakdown of cartilage between joints causes osteoarthritis. This cartilage acts as a cushion, so it causes pain and inflammation when it deteriorates. Hip dysplasia is an abnormality in the hip joint that leads to pain and lameness.
CBD oil can help relieve both of these types of arthritis by reducing inflammation. A study published in Frontiers in Veterinary Science found that CBD oil is an effective treatment for osteoarthritis in dogs.
What Is A CBD Dosage Calculator?
CBD oil is a natural medical treatment that has been used for centuries to treat various medical conditions. Using CBD oil for dogs with a dose calculator can help you determine your dog’s correct CBD oil dosage.
You will need to consider factors when using a dosage calculator. The first is the weight of your dog. You need to enter your dog’s weight in pounds or kilograms.
The next factor is the type of CBD oil that you are using. There are three types of CBD oils: full-spectrum, broad-spectrum, and isolate.
- Full-spectrum – These oils are the most potent and contain the greatest concentration of CBD. They also have other cannabinoids, terpenes, and flavonoids that work together to produce what is known as the “entourage effect”.
- Broad-spectrum – These oils are less potent than full-spectrum but still contain a good concentration of CBD. They have other cannabinoids, but they do not contain THC.
- Isolate – Isolates are the most potent and concentrated form of CBD. They are made by taking the Cannabidiol from the plant and removing everything else. It leaves behind a white powder of at least 99 percent pure CBD. Isolates can be used in different ways depending on their intended purpose.
The second factor will be the severity of your dog’s symptoms. If your dog is dealing with mild anxiety, a lower dosage may be all that is needed. If they are dealing with more severe issues like separation anxiety or aggression, a higher dosage may be necessary.
You will also consider your dog’s weight when determining the dosage. A general rule of thumb is to give 0.25mg per pound of body weight. If your dog weighs 50 pounds, you need to provide them with 12.50mg of CBD per day.
What Are The Methods To Administer CBD Oil To Your Dog?
There are four popular methods to administer CBD oil to your dog: topically, orally, via an inhaler, or through food.
- Topical application is the most common method, as it is easy to control the amount of oil that your dog receives this way. Apply drops of oil to the affected area and massage it in.
- Oral administration is the second most popular method. CBD oil can be given to the dog directly or mixed into their food. If you choose to provide it now, start with a small amount (a drop or two) and increase as needed.
- Inhalation is a less common method but can be effective for anxious dogs or have respiratory problems. Add drops of oil to a diffuser and run them near your dog.
- Finally, you can also add CBD oil to your dog’s food. It is an excellent option for picky eaters or those with difficulty administering medication orally. Mix the oil into their food and serve as usual.
What Are The Different Dosage Forms Of CBD Oil For Dogs?
CBD oil for dogs comes in many different forms, including tinctures, capsules, edibles, and topicals. Tinctures are a popular form of CBD oil, as they are easy to administer and have a long shelf life. Capsules are also easy to administer, but they take longer to work than tinctures. Edibles are an excellent option for dogs who don’t like the taste of CBD oil, because they come in many different flavors.
Thus, CBD is a good and effective choice for those looking for an all-natural way to help their dogs.